Friday, October 14, 2011

Welcome!

This being my first blog I think it is simply polite to say hello and welcome to the site! I graduated from a community college in 1999 with my Associate Degree of Science in Nursing (ADN). I had such high hopes for a great career, and started with a critical care internship at a local hospital. Upon completing six months of classes, including ACLS, and three clinical rotations in critical care areas, I took a full time position in PACU. It was a great fit, and over the next few years I worked in several PACU's, and later, as an agency nurse in adult ICU. An unfortunate shoulder injury led me to the NICU, where I worked in both a level 3 and 4 facility. It was during a shift in the NICU that I collapsed. That evening in the ER, I went into SVT and became profoundly hypotensive. When I left work that day and went down to the ER, I had no idea that it would be last time I would work in nursing.

So, after 8 years I have obtained my BSN and am part of the way through my MSN at Kaplan University Online. I am on the Nursing Educator track and hope to be able to teach nursing online when I am done. Nurses who are disabled are a unique source of knowledge that is being wasted, as hospitals often demand a certain degree of physical (for good reason). By seeking an MSN and a career in teaching, I can make the most of the education and experience I already have. So, I hope that those who read this blog can share in the journey to completion of my MSN, and then as I enter the career I have chosen. But moreover, I hope they can learn what life with a dysautonomia is like, and how being a nurse has allowed me wonderful opportunities to help others.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Emily
    Awesome.Your post touches my heart.I know that you will excel as nurse educator.I am doing with online course with lot of other responsibilities but after looking at your post no more complaints.You are so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,
    I may have found a way to post to your blog. It is very inviting, interesting, and informational. You should get a lot of interesting bloggers. Good luck to you with this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily,
    Thanks for the information. As others have written you are an inspiration and your message is that if one forges ahead ones dreams can be realized to the fullest. It also shows that our initial idea of a successful career may change for the better, allowing us to help many, many others.
    Nan Carolynn

    ReplyDelete