Monday, December 12, 2011

Learning something new

I am of the firm belief that there is something new to be learned every single day. Today I learned something interesting that had never really been explained to me before. For several years now my WBC has run high, just about 14.5. There was not ever an infection to explain this, and we just assumed it was just another part of my weird normal. This summer after starting Plaquenil, my WBCs dropped to a normal 8. Being tested again today, it was still 8. I mentioned this to the hematologist, more as a side note than anything else. He explained that high levels of epinephrine causes a release of a specific kind of WBC that is from the peripheral vasculature. So, at last a reasonable explination for something. Using the Plaquenil did not change the epinephrine, but as it limits the immune response, the release of WBCs was also reduced. I thought this was proof that there is always something new to learn, and something new to discover about your body. Even if nothing else comes from this visit, it was worth it just to learn. Oh and to be reminded that I need to shave my legs before visits...oops. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment